Never buy curry cubes again! Cheap and easy to make, this curry roux comes together with just a few simple ingredients. plus you can control the spice level of your curry.
I know there are a lotta people out there who stan S&B Golden Curry. I get it, I’m not going to talk shit because it does taste pretty good. But I kinda can’t justify spending like $9 on curry cubes. Especially when it’s so easy to make at home. It’s literally like 5 ingredients. So here’s a very quick recipe on how to make your own curry roux. If you freeze it in ice trays they’re actually curry cubes!
Check out my Beef Curry Udon with Kabocha and Swiss Chard if you’re wondering what to do with all this curry roux now!
Homemade Japanese Curry Roux
- 1 stick butter (113 grams, 8 tbsp)
- 7 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp garam masala or your fav spice blend
- 1 tsp white pepper*
- Melt butter in a sauce pan. If you want to control the consistency better you can alternate between adding butter and flour by the tablespoon.
- Whisk constantly until the mixture starts to brown a bit.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until well combined and consistency is even.
- Adjust to your preference for spice level/consistency.
- Freeze in ice cube tray for future use. Keeps in the fridge for around a week.